[NAFEX] Northline Serviceberry (Chex)

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Mon May 21 20:23:12 EDT 2007

Dr. Thompson says that it now looks like bumblebees are the main
pollinator of Haskap.  They have a long tongue that allows them to
reach the nectar in the tubular flowers.  If you have no bumblebees,
that might be part of the reason for poor set.  I have several bushes
and ones that had tall grass around them at bloom time had poor set
because the bumblebees couldn't get to the flowers.  The ones that were
in the open seem to have set well.
Note that the fruit ripens a lot earlier than blueberries, about with
or even a little ahead of strawberries, and birds can take the fruit
before you even realize it's ready.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
For growing supplies and more;  http://www.grapegrowersolutions.com