[NAFEX] Northline Serviceberry (Chex)

Mark & Helen Angermayer hangermayer at isp.com
Mon May 21 12:26:11 EDT 2007

Bill,

This is our first year to try serviceberries.  Lon is right, they're native
to prairie states so should do well in your area with lower rainfall,
although I would give them a drink when they need it.  We have Regent.
According to St-Pierre's book, "Growing Saskatoons-a manual for
orchardists", Regent is somewhat resistant to saskatoon/juniper rust
(Gymnosporangium spp.).  I believe this is the same organism Doc is
referring to (quince rust).  Regent also has some resistance to
Entomosporium leaf and berry spot.  It is a bush type supposedly growing to
2m.  It was recommended to me by Richard Moyer and so far it seems to be
doing well.  I got mine from Hidden Springs nursery and was pleased with the
plants.

Jan,

Erwinia amylovora is known here as fireblight.  It does affect saskatoons,
but again according to St-Pierre, it displays itself in saskatoons with the
typical blackened sheperds crook, as it does in apple/pear.  Your right it's
supposed to be very bad, but it doesn't sound like what Doc's describing.

Mark
Kansas