[NAFEX] Northline Serviceberry (Chex)

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Mon May 21 10:41:09 EDT 2007

At 08:44 PM 5/20/2007, Doc L wrote:
> > I don't know if you have the same problem I have with
> Serviceberry but the fruit is attacked every spring by Quince Rust
> here in SoCar.  This is the first year in seven that they haven't
> been attacked and totally ruined by the rust.
I've seen severe rust infestations on the 'Autumn Brilliance'
cultivar - leaves, twigs, fruit - though not in my orchard.  I have
the strains of the Gymnosporangium fungus that infect apples, quince,
and hawthorn - I've seen leaf &/or twig lesions on all three species
here - but never have I noticed anything on any of the serviceberries.

The most productive serviceberries I have are a couple of row-run
seedlings of Timm & Success that I bought($1 each) from the
now-defunct Bear Creek Nursery, back in '96.  Granted, they've been
in the ground longer than any others, but they're just so very much
more vigorous and productive than the other A.alnifolia varieties
I've planted(Theissen, Smoky, Martin, Forestburg, etc.).  Other than
'Jennybelle', which is an A.obovata selection, all of my alnifolia
types are well under 5 ft tall, 10-12 year after planting.  They tend
to be suckering, spreading plants - the Timm&Success seedling clumps
are probably 4 ft across, with high stem density.

There are a couple of nice little A.laevis(Allegheny serviceberry)
trees in town at the public library, that fruit heavily every
year.  I find their fruits to be juicier than those of my alnifolia types.
I see that 'tastes like a blueberry' thing in all the catalogs.  I
don't agree.  I guess they taste like...a serviceberry; they're
softer than blueberries, and as Naomi said, if you hit the seeds just
right, you get an almond undertone.

Bill  MacKentley, at St. Lawrence Nurseries, in Potsdam NY maintains
perhaps one of the largest collections of juneberries that I'm aware
of, though he doesn't offer all of them every  year.
http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/juneberries.html
I see that they're not offering 'Lee #3' this year.
Canadian source?  I can only offer DNA Gardens as the place I'd start
- http://www.dnagardens.com/catalogue.htm#saskatoon - but for all I
know they're Canada's answer to TyTy(but, I hope not).