[NAFEX] Northline Serviceberry (Chex)

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sun May 20 21:50:05 EDT 2007

I've harped on this before, but the main problem is that the commercial
varieties are mostly Canadian selections from the dry Prairie Provinces
where disease isn't a problem.  However, the genus Amelanchier is very
widespread in North America and it should be possible to find locally
adapted selections in many parts of the country if you but look.  Here,
the Canadian types had over 75% infection with rust, while local forms
had less than 5%.  The local types weren't as sweet, but I've no doubt
that a serious explorer could find better quality selections if they
look.  That was how the Canadians did it in the first place - looked
for the best wild types and bred from them.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
For growing supplies and more;  http://www.grapegrowersolutions.com

On May 20, 2007, at 6:44 PM, William C. Garthright wrote:

> I don't know if you have the same problem I have with Serviceberry but
> the fruit is attacked every spring by Quince Rust here in SoCar.  This
> is the first year in seven that they haven't been attacked and totally
> ruined by the rust.

Well, I must admit this thread is a little disappointing, since I'd been
thinking that Serviceberries (Juneberry, Saskatoon, Shadblow, etc.)
might be interesting to try. Somewhere, I read that they taste rather
like a blueberry (which I love), but that they don't require acid soil.
I was wondering how they'd do in Nebraska, and which varieties might be
recommended for fresh eating (shrubs, by preference, though I might be
able to handle a small tree).

Well, all fruit has problems, I suppose. I don't want to hijack this
thread, but I'd be interested in other comments about Serviceberries in
general.

Bill