[NAFEX] Northline Serviceberry (Chex)

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Sun May 20 21:44:09 EDT 2007

> I don't know if you have the same problem I have with Serviceberry but the fruit is attacked every spring by Quince Rust here in SoCar.  This is the first year in seven that they haven't been attacked and totally ruined by the rust.

Well, I must admit this thread is a little disappointing, since I'd been
thinking that Serviceberries (Juneberry, Saskatoon, Shadblow, etc.)
might be interesting to try. Somewhere, I read that they taste rather
like a blueberry (which I love), but that they don't require acid soil.
I was wondering how they'd do in Nebraska, and which varieties might be
recommended for fresh eating (shrubs, by preference, though I might be
able to handle a small tree).

Well, all fruit has problems, I suppose. I don't want to hijack this
thread, but I'd be interested in other comments about Serviceberries in
general.

Bill

--
It's not true that life is one damn thing after another. It's the same
damn thing over and over. - Edna St. Vincent Milay