[NAFEX] pecan problem

Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov
Fri May 18 13:46:42 EDT 2007

I would love some help with this problem. I need to save my tree!

I have a 9' Stuart pecan that I planted as an 8' grafted bare root tree
in the fall of 2005.  It leafed out well last year and seemed vigorous.
This year, it is leafing out slowly compared to the nearby 11' Pawnee
(8' grafted bare root planted fall 2004). Both trees are from TyTy
nursery, Georgia.  I also noted that some of the new shoots (on the
Stuart only) have withered and died apparently just as they were leafing
out.  This is particularly true of lower branches, and on some of the
mid branches, only the tips are withered.  The withered tips are medium
brown in color and curve back on themselves, similar to the 'shepherd's
crook' appearance of fire blight.

This spring both of the tree's buds were tight and closed during the
Easter freeze.

I fertilized this year with a new product that contains zinc sulfate.

I have observed twig girdler (Oncideres cingulata)

 damage, otherwise the trees have seemed healthy in the past.

Anybody have any ideas on this phenomenon?

Betsy Hilborn
 zone 7a, NC