[NAFEX] Sumac fruit opportunity

Jim Fruth jfruth at tds.net
Tue May 15 09:07:49 EDT 2007

    While scientists are off in the rain forest collecting samples for
medicines, there is fruit here that goes uninvestigated.  Staghorn Sumac
fruit has antibacterial/anti-fungal properties.  In our world where new
forms of antibiotics are becoming scarce, Sumac holds a clue; I'll explain:
                             Here at Brambleberry Farm, we harvest a great
many different kinds of fruits, all but one of which need refrigeration or
freezing for long term storage.  Sumac is the exception.  We make a fruit
syrup from the berries.  We store unprocessed fruit in sacks that are kept
out of the weather.  The fruit doesn't rot.  It doesn't ferment.  It doesn't
seem to break down in any way.  If I had taken a few more Organic Chemistry
classes, I'd investigate Sumac as a possible antibiotic.  If any of you have
the expertise, go for it because I'm not likely to ever do anything more
with it than make syrup.  I have used both Rhus hirta, Staghorn Sumac, and
R. glabra, Smooth Sumac.  I use R. hirta mostly because it imparts more
flavor. than R. glabra.
    BTW, Sumac Syrup possesses the flavor or a citrus.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
www.bberryfarm.com