[NAFEX] Sumac fruit question

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Tue May 15 08:58:54 EDT 2007

In a message dated 5/15/2007 8:45:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jfruth at tds.net
writes:

>   What eats Sumac berries?  Is there a bird that used to eat Sumac berries
> that is now extinct?  I have never seen anything eat the fruit but some
> critter must, otherwise how does it get transplanted from one place to
> another?

I haven't followed this discussion so may duplicate what has been written.

The white sumac is toxic and the red sumac which is found in this area isn't
poisonous. A tea can be made from the berries and is high in vitiman C. I've
eated the berries but as they are very fuzzy about a few berries are enough.

Jerry