[NAFEX] Poison Sumac Question(clonal suckering)

tanis grif tanisgrif at yahoo.com
Sun May 13 12:25:12 EDT 2007

Some of the wild fruits have a suckering-spreading expansive habit, so we're still
on-topic!

I've seen undisturbed clonal patches of staghorn (& we have another common one
here--Rhus glabra) gradually relocate themselves.  Also, they eventually give up if
they just aren't allowed to go anywhere and are never cut.  (I believe the same
think happens with black-locust, but it takes 100 years so how does an ammateur
prove that?!)  I bet the roots eventually get diseases or deplete the soil, or
something.  That's why the roots seek new ground.

Don't cut it, mow (or herbicide) the perimeter, and take a picture of the clone same
date every year.