[NAFEX] Anyone know where to get a Sal's fig? (Michael Nave)

Gene fidleir at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 12:06:21 EDT 2007

This doesn’t address your issue of where to buy Sal’s for $20 and under, but thought I’d point out the lengthy but interesting discussion last fall on the GW fig forum as to whether Sal’s and Hardy Chicago are the same fig. (see:  http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg101415465988.html )  Another interesting aspect is that Belleclare Nursery sold two varieties of Sal’s fig on Long Island until they closed last Fall.   They also sold Hardy Chicago under the local name of Bensonhurst Purple.  Mike McConkey of Edible Landscaping has posted that he thinks Sal’s is the same as Hardy Chicago (see:  http://elandscape.proboards55.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1159361261).  I bought both HC and Sal’s from Mike in the past and would disagree with him – but they are quite similar, and his suppliers have confused the two since I made my purchases in 2001.

  Message: 5