[NAFEX] nafex pH Question

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Sat May 5 10:12:56 EDT 2007

On May 4, 2007, at 8:18 PM, oowonbs at netscape.net wrote:

> I did once see a map of the U.S. in an aggy book in
> the library... It was specifically a pH map.  It was
> very plain that pH in the eastern U.S. was/is, acidic.
> The west was alkalai. The center was neutral.

This may be true as an overall generalization; but don't assume that
your particular soil fits the generalization. Get soil tests of the
specific field.

In the Finger Lakes of NY soil types, and soil acidity, vary wildly
even within small areas. It's not at all unusual for one farm to have
multiple soil types, or for them to have different natural pH. This is
I believe at least partly due to the fact that there was a lot of
glacial activity here; but I think a similar effect might be produced
in areas that were subject to major flooding, even thousands of years
ago.

In addition to this factor, previous farm/garden activities may have
affected pH and other nutrient levels.

Oh yes -- and you can indeed make your soil overly alkaline by applying
too much wood ash in a small area over a number of years. I did exactly
that, years ago.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly