[NAFEX] Deer

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Fri May 4 11:07:20 EDT 2007

> In some areas you need to be cautious about training your dogs to
> chase deer; especially if they might chase them onto someone else's
> property.

I might also mention that if you encourage your dogs to chase deer, then
it's likely they'll continue further than you expect or want - and
certainly more than your neighbors want. Sort of like encouraging your
dogs to bark. If you discourage them from barking, they'll still bark
when necessary, but if you encourage their barking, you'll soon wish you
hadn't (or your neighbors will).

I suspect most dogs will chase deer, to some extent, even given no
encouragement at all. And, of course, if they're confined to your
property, then no problem. But I would never encourage a dog to chase
deer if he's allowed to run lose. (I never let my old lab chase anything
but squirrels, since I figured they wouldn't go very far. That worked
OK, except that my dog took some bad falls when he tried to climb after
them!)

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by
the president. - President Theodore Roosevelt