[NAFEX] Deer

Thomas Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Fri May 4 09:01:20 EDT 2007

Hi,

What is the legal definition of “running deer”?  I would guess that it is
indicative to hunters using dogs to run deer to exhaustion as part of the
hunting process, not a dog chasing a deer away from crops.

My inlaws would say that a terrified animal’s meat will taste off, so dogs
used in hunting makes no sense.  Evidently the adrenaline sets off hormone
changes that affect tenderness and taste.  Since they have slaughtered and I
have not, I will yield to their experience.  Possibly this is why hunters
prefer to take an animal down instantly (in addition to it being more
humane)?

Later,

Tom

  _____