[NAFEX] Deer

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Fri May 4 08:22:52 EDT 2007

On May 4, 2007, at 6:36 AM, Lee Reich wrote:

> You're right about dogs. Fortunately for me, my two current dogs are
> very enthusiastic about watching for and chasing deer. Let me know how
> Deerchaser works for you.
>
> Lee
>
> On May 3, 2007, at 11:23 PM, Hélène Dessureault wrote:
>>
>> What I forgot to mention is that I have two BIG friendly dogs that
>> usually sleep outdoors on the other side of the house. They chase
>> deers occasionally when told to do so, particularly when I
>> participate. When an alarm or a surprise radio goes off, I am sure
>> that they will be set into motion as well to complete the mission, if
>> necessary. What I cannot seem to impress upon them is the idea to
>> keep watch and ward the deers off on their own initiative. It's funny
>> since they chase just about everyting else.

In some areas you need to be cautious about training your dogs to chase
deer; especially if they might chase them onto someone else's property.
Around here, as I understand it, it is illegal for dogs to run deer,
and the dogs can be shot for it by anyone who sees them doing so.
Though not everybody will do so, there are some who will.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly