[NAFEX] AACK! Persimmon borers(?!)

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed May 2 10:40:20 EDT 2007

After grafting a few persimmons in the nursery beds this morning, I
took another turn around the orchard to survey the damage and
recovery, such as it is, of the freeze-damaged pecans & persimmons.
Most appear to be re-leafing, though some of the young 3-5 yr old
grafted American persimmons appear to have killed back all the way to
the main trunk.  At least a couple may be total kills, and closer
inspection of those revealed the characteristic little pale,
toothpick-sized frass tubes, sticking out from their trunks, that I
presume are associated with borers of some sort.
Fortunately, I have 'back-ups' of these varieties, or gathered
dormant scionwood back in Feb/March, so they're not totally lost to
me, but it is distressing.

Does anyone have any info or recommendations on control/prevention
strategies to diminish infestation on the remainder of my trees?

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY