[NAFEX] Melamine [off topic]

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Wed May 2 10:12:10 EDT 2007

On May 1, 2007, at 6:25 AM, Thomas Olenio wrote:

>> So, Tom;
>>  How many of the cats that have died of kidney failure were frequent
>> pool swimmers?
>>  Or, had access to an open swimming pool?
>>  We're still a good month away from most folks opening their pools
>> here.
>>
>>  I'm still not buying it.
>>
>>  LLP
>>

> I still wonder if chlorinated, municipal tap water uses a stabilized
> chlorine.  That would explain how cats had access to melamine and
> cyanuric acid.

The cyanuric acid was an additional contaminant in the pet food.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/01/recall.riddle/index.html

If the problem was caused by a combination of two or more ingredients,
it might well be extremely hard to pin down. One or more of them might
even be legitimate ingredients, which could pass feeding tests just
fine when fed in isolation from the other problem causer(s).

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly