[NAFEX] Melamine

Thomas Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Mon Apr 30 13:14:00 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I really enjoy piecing together news.  God knows you cannot rely on the
media to do it.

As you know melamine contaminated feed has been linked to pet deaths.  Then
melamine contaminated feed was fed to pigs, and the melamine contaminated
pork hit the store shelves (thanks Tyson).

Of course we are told no recall is necessary, for melamine is of little risk
to humans.

What they do not tell you is that it was not the melamine alone that killed
the pets.  The melamine combined in the kidneys of the animals with another
contaminate and crystallized, hindering kidney function.

What was this other contaminate?  A common poolside chemical, found in most
every swimming pool and hot tub.

The University of Guelph (Guelph, Ontario veterinary college) has already
explored it.

Discovery by Guelph, Ont., scientists may show how recalled pet food became
toxic

Noor Javed, Canadian Press

Published: Saturday, April 28, 2007

TORONTO (CP) - A chemical process that occurs between two compounds, one
used to make plastics and another employed in pool chlorination, may explain
how North American pets were affected, some fatally, by recalled pet food
products, researchers suggest.

Cyanuric acid, which was found in urine samples from animals that died, and
melamine, a compound identified in the gluten found in the recalled pet
food, react with one another to form crystals that may block kidney
function, researchers at the University of Guelph said Friday.

What is cyanuric acid? - Cyanuric acid is a weak acid that is marketed as a
chlorine "stabilizer" for swimming pools.  Other terms used by the pool
supply industry are "isocyanurates", "conditioner" or "CYA".  When exposed
to the ultraviolet rays of the sun, the free chlorine in the pool water will
break down and escape.  Cyanuric acid is intended to reduce this loss of
chlorine.

Now for the extra score bonus question.  Name one animal that eats pork and
swims in pools treated with cyanuric acid?

I knew you would get it.  So melamine alone will not kill you, unless you go
swimming and ingest a bit of pool water.  So if drowning doesn't get you the
kidney failure will.

Later,

Tom