[NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 51, Issue 86

Jean & Lyle Cherney lcherney at athenet.net
Mon Apr 30 09:50:17 EDT 2007


----- Original Message ----- 
From: <nafex-request at lists.ibiblio.org>
To: <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 10:05 AM
Subject: nafex Digest, Vol 51, Issue 86


> Send nafex mailing list submissions to
> nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> nafex-request at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> nafex-owner at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of nafex digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: Montrose Apricot (list at ginda.us)
>    2. Building a fence against deers (Bassem Samaan)
>    3. Jujube recipes (Brungardt, Sam)
>    4. Re: Montrose Apricot (Mark & Helen Angermayer)
>    5. Dog trolley deer defence (Thomas Olenio
)    6. Re: Garden deer fence (Lyle Cherney)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 00:42:27 -0400
> From: list at ginda.us
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Montrose Apricot
> To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Message-ID: <5CDE53B9-E6D9-4CBC-9FE4-A6BD758AA9D8 at ginda.us>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
>
> On Apr 24, 2007, at 8:12 PM, Doreen Howard wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know if Montrose apricot is self-fertile or does it
> > need a pollinator?  The tree I grew from a pit is flowering for the
> > first time this year.  It's the first fruit tree to blossom by
> > almost a week.  The Asian pears (Korean Giant & Shinseki) are now
> > blooming, and it looks like all the apples and the Saturn peach
> > will flower by the weekend.  After that late Arctic blast and heavy
> > snow, I didn't know if there would be blossoms.  But there are!
> > Hope springs eternal with fruit growers, I guess.
> > Doreen Howard
> > Zone 4b--IL-WI Border
> > _______________________________________________
>
> I know that puget gold is self-fertile, since there's not another
> apricot within a couple of miles.  My understanding is that apricots
> in general are self-fertile.
>
> Ginda
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/private/nafex/attachments/20070425/bee1d9dd/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 08:24:53 -0500
> From: "Bassem Samaan" <bassem at gardener.com>
> Subject: [NAFEX] Building a fence against deers
> To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
> Message-ID: <20070425132453.10DD210285 at ws1-3.us4.outblaze.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> My in-laws property is always invaded by deers. Unfortunately all their
> vegetable crops are eaten by the deers daily. So we tried putting a
> temporarily fence, we used the flurencent plastic fence that's commonly
> used in construction. The deers have pushed it down and walked right into
> the plantings. So this year we need to build a sturdy fence that can keep
> the deers and other creatures away. My question is how high does the
> fence have to be so the deers want jumb above it?We need the lowest cost
> possible, since the fencing area is 50'x50' square. Bass Samaanzone 6,
> Bethlehem, pa
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/private/nafex/attachments/20070425/d1403f9f/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 08:24:48 -0500
> From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt at state.mn.us>
> Subject: [NAFEX] Jujube recipes
> To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Message-ID:
> <D577CC7D2E27894389723752BCAECBCF02AEED0D at s-sp22.pca.state.mn.us>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Here is a story that has 2 recipes for using jujube:
>
> Recipe Box <http://www.grit.com/recipe-box/2007-05-01/> Grit
> Magazine - USA
> And if you have jujube trees, the fruit makes a wonderful snack and adds
> to special treats straight from your kitchen. Enjoy the warm weather,
> ... (http://www.grit.com/recipe-box/2007-05-01/)
>
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/private/nafex/attachments/20070425/97be4820/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 09:17:34 -0500
> From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer at isp.com>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Montrose Apricot
> To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Message-ID: <002901c78744$7a728580$3e2e9643 at computer5>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Like peaches, I believe apricots are almost all self-fertile.  The only
one I've read about that needs a pollinator is Harlayne, but I'm sure there
are a few others.
>
> Mark
>   ----- Original Message ----- 
>   From:Ginda
>   To: North American Fruit Explorers
>   Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 11:42 PM
>   Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Montrose Apricot
>
>
>
>
>   On Apr 24, 2007, at 8:12 PM, Doreen Howard wrote:
>
>
>     Does anyone know if Montrose apricot is self-fertile or does it need a
pollinator?  The tree I grew from a pit is flowering for the first time this
year.  It's the first fruit tree to blossom by almost a week.  The Asian
pears (Korean Giant & Shinseki) are now blooming, and it looks like all the
apples and the Saturn peach will flower by the weekend.  After that late
Arctic blast and heavy snow, I didn't know if there would be blossoms.  But
there are!  Hope springs eternal with fruit growers, I guess.
>     Doreen Howard
>     Zone 4b--IL-WI Border
>     _______________________________________________
>
>
>   I know that puget gold is self-fertile, since there's not another
apricot within a couple of miles.  My understanding is that apricots in
general are self-fertile.
>
>
>   Ginda
>
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
>
>
>   _______________________________________________
>   nafex mailing list
>   nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>
>   Reproduction of list messages or archives is not allowed.
>   This includes distribution on other email lists or reproduction on web
sites.
>   Permission to reproduce is NEVER granted, so don't claim you have
permission!
>
>   **YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
>   Posts from email addresses that are not subscribed are discarded.
>   No exceptions.
>   ----
>   To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be
used to change other email options):
>   http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>
>   File attachments are NOT stripped by this list.
>   TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES!
>   Please do not send binary files.
>   Use plain text ONLY in emails!
>
>   NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/
>
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
>
>
>   No virus found in this incoming message.
>   Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>   Version: 7.5.463 / Virus Database: 269.6.0/775 - Release Date: 4/24/07
5:43 PM
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/private/nafex/attachments/20070425/324b8b3b/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:05:48 -0400
> From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio at sentex.net>
> Subject: [NAFEX] Dog trolley deer defence
> To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Message-ID: <000001c7874b$363d1c20$2e8b0740 at userd5c77564e4>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Hello All,
>
>
>
> In my experience there is nothing better for keeping varmints out of areas
> than dogs.
>
>
>
> If you are lucky enough to have a dog that does not wander you are lucky
> indeed.  Fences can be very expensive to erect and maintain.  However, a
dog
> trolley is cheap and can give a dog a long range of protection.
>
>
>
>
>
> In my experience you have to incorporate compression springs at both ends
of
> the steel cable, and on the chain leading to the dog from the pulley.
This
> absorbs the force of the dog running and hitting the end of the lead.  It
> also helps in high winds if you are using trees to support the trolley.  I
> prefer two posts, or a single post and a building.
>
>
>
> You also need to incorporated stops on the cable so the dog cannot tangle
> itself around either end of the trolley This stops the pulley roller from
> allowing the dog to get too close to the end of the trolley.
>
>
>
> A dog in the orchard such equipped will not wander off, will protect the
> area, and can be provided with shelter/food/water for the night.  During
the
> day, when you are around, take the dog off guard duty.
>
>
>
> Just make it impossible for the dog to tangle around objects while on the
> trolley and give it proper shelter.
>
>
>
> Later,
>
> Tom

    Message 6
    Date 4/27/07
    Garden Deer Fence

    We use an electric fence around our garden. It consists of two strands.
The top strand is a high visibility plastic/metal strand at about 30" high.
The other is smooth wire at 15 " high. I do try to keep the grass mowed
under the fence but I also use a weed-burner-fencer that is actuated by a
photo cell so the fencer is on only at night. I use this from about the
middle of April until about the end of October. You wouldn't think this
would keep deer out but deer are like cattle, you need to educate them.
Every spring when I turn the fencer on I put small pieces of tin foil on
both strands between each fence post. On the foil I put a dab of molasses. I
do this for the first week. That usually prevents deer from entering the
garden for the year. Sometime in the middle of the season, if I see foot pri
nts in the garden, I do the molasses thing once more. I haven't had to do
this more than twice in a season. I believe we live in a high pressure deer
area but it isn't that there isn't anything else to eat.
Lyle Cherney - east central Wisconsin
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/private/nafex/attachments/20070425/691da63e/attachment.htm
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: not available
> Type: image/jpeg
> Size: 20413 bytes
> Desc: not available
> Url :
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/private/nafex/attachments/20070425/691da63e/attachment.jpg
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> nafex mailing list
> nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> Reproduction of list messages or archives is not allowed.
> This includes distribution on other email lists or reproduction on web
sites.
> Permission to reproduce is NEVER granted, so don't claim you have
permission!
>
> **YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
> Posts from email addresses that are not subscribed are discarded.
> No exceptions.
> ----
> To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be
used to change other email options):
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>
> File attachments are NOT stripped by this list.
> TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES!
> Please do not send binary files.
> Use plain text ONLY in emails!
>
> NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/
>
>
> End of nafex Digest, Vol 51, Issue 86
> *************************************
>
>
>
> -- 
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 269.5.9/773 - Release Date: 4/22/07
8:18 PM
>




More information about the nafex mailing list