[NAFEX] Don't plant tender items just yet

Erdman, James ErdmanJ at uwstout.edu
Mon Apr 30 08:09:38 EDT 2007

Our feeling on planting out tender plants is that the seeds won't grow in the packets, and so we always start a few tomatoes, peppers, cabbage family, etc., a month earlier than the main crop, so if we get some nice weather extra early, we have seedlings to plant out in the garden.  We have tomatoes and peppers out, only a few of each, and put out our main early crop of cabbage, brocolli, cauliflower, etc.  We do this most years, and seldom lose all of the extra early plantings.  This year we also have peas and carrots coming up already, plus overwintered lettuce and spinach.
Waiting until the end of May to plant  seems to waste lots of potential growing time.  If we lose those earliest plants, just plant again.
Since we get most of our food from what we grow ourselves, an early crop (as well as late into the fall harvests) are quite important to our diet, menus, and budget.

Jim, zone 4, Menomonie, WI

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org on behalf of Thomas Olenio

The difference may just be individual preference.  I do not want to risk the
plants being killed even at 10%.  I spend too much time working with seeds
and seedlings to risk them.

As my sage mother would ask...  You want to be right, or dead right?

Later,
Tom