[NAFEX] Red Currant resistance to borers

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Sun Apr 29 11:21:47 EDT 2007

I ordinarily lost a few branches to cane borers each year.  Last year
was particularly bad, and some helpful folks at NAFEX suggested I
remove the dead branches and destroy them, to prevent the moth inside
from laying next year's problems.  So last year, after pruning the
dead canes off my currant bushes, I put them in my municipal trash
instead of tossing them onto the mulch pile.  This year, I lost many
fewer canes.

probably not a coincidence.

Ginda

p.s.   If you look inside the dead cane in the spring, you can often
find the overwintering insect.  It seems to be a little below the
dead portion.