[NAFEX] Subject: Re: Paw Paw Propagation from seed

Matt Demmon mdemmon at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 19:44:23 EDT 2007

Toni, your paw paws should be just fine outside in the winter. I'm in
zone 5 and for two years in a row have had 100% survival on my one
year old paw paw seedlings, in regular 1 gallon pots, just left
outside on the north side of the house and forgotten about.

Also, after the first year, they can handle full sun (although I
wouldn't do that to them in a pot). If you are planning on putting
them in the ground at some point, I wouldn't wait, do it this spring
and give them lots of compost and watch 'em go. The deer won't bother
them and they should be fine.

Good luck.

-matt

On 4/23/07, Toni Pralle <toni.pralle at gmail.com> wrote:

> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Paw Paw Propagation from seed
>

> I purchased some stratified Paw Paw seed from a nafex member. I've put them
> in deep pots to accomodate the expected deep tap root. I have about an inch
> of mulch on top of the seed. What would be an expected timeline for
> germination and emergence of shoots? I'm told that I might not see any
> shoots until next spring.>>
>
> I got some paw paw seeds last year (or the year before??) from a member in
> Arizona. I kept the seeds in the refrigerator over winter and planted them
> in pots in the spring.  It took them forever to sprout but they finally all
> did. I'm in Iowa. I've heard that I should have gotten seeds from a more
> local place but I'm playing with these anyway. I kept them in the house over
> winter. They dropped all their leaves but now are sprouting all new ones
> about on the same schedule as my outside trees. I will keep them in the
> house yet next winter. I'm not sure what I will do this summer. I don't want
> them to get in the sun and I don't want to forget to water them so the house
> seems safest. My experience with the seeds I have is that they are following
> the natural rythum of my local out door trees.
>
> --
> Toni in zone 4 Iowa USA
> http://www.stopanimalid.org/
> http://nonais.org/
> It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
> into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
> falling into error.
> -- Robert Houghwout Jackson,
> Chief Judge at the War-Crimes Tribunal in Nuremberg

> sites.
> permission!

> No exceptions.
> ----
> To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be used
> to change other email options):

-matt
aim: farmerdemmon
www.flickr.com/photos/farmerdemmon