[NAFEX] apricot flowering/honey bees

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Wed Apr 25 14:47:52 EDT 2007

> What a difference a day or two of warm weather makes.  Friday nothing had bloomed, by Sunday the apricot was about to bloom, the early daffodils had opened, the forsythia were getting going, and the peonies had grown about 6 inches (since Friday.)  The apples are at green tip, the currents are showing green, sap is dripping from the grapevine, and it looks like spring.

It's funny that you're in a warmer zone (zone 6, while I'm in zone 5a),
but my plants went through that stage a good month ago. My apricot was
in full bloom March 26th, the forsythia March 25th, the peonies were up,
apples and currents leafing out, and sap gushing from my grapevines -
all at least a month ago. (Of course, everything came to a screaming
halt a week later!)

Well, I guess some of this might be do to local weather variations,
since we had a very warm March. Perhaps you were colder than normal? But
I suppose I also need to get it through my head that the "cold" zone
just refers to winter low temperatures, right? Just because our winters
are colder, that doesn't necessarily mean that we don't have a longer
growing season? Certainly, we have extremes here on the plains - cold
winters and hot, humid summers. I need to stop thinking so
simplistically when it comes to growing seasons.

It just struck me as funny when I read your post. It probably didn't
seem odd to anyone else, but it sure did to me.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5a)

--
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin