[NAFEX] Freeze damage follow-up

dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Wed Apr 25 11:55:02 EDT 2007

Mark is right, prune them now.  Especially stone fruits.  Any dead or
damaged branch can be a host for disease, especially after a weather
incident like a freeze or hail storm.  It has pretty much been a standard
orchard practice to do a strep (streptomycin) spray after hail damage due to
injuries to the trees created by the hail.  By the way, we have blossoms on
our peach trees now and our apple trees are at pink.  I have some peach
trees that are so loaded with blossoms I am going to have to heavily thin
them.  After the temps of 75 Saturday and 77 on Sunday, the peach trees came
to life.  I do have some winter injury and some dead branches, but most
would have been pruned out anyway.  The trees we had already pruned have
really come back to life.  Sometimes stress can be a good thing!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com