[NAFEX] Dog trolley deer defence

Thomas Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Wed Apr 25 11:05:48 EDT 2007

Hello All,

In my experience there is nothing better for keeping varmints out of areas
than dogs.

If you are lucky enough to have a dog that does not wander you are lucky
indeed.  Fences can be very expensive to erect and maintain.  However, a dog
trolley is cheap and can give a dog a long range of protection.

In my experience you have to incorporate compression springs at both ends of
the steel cable, and on the chain leading to the dog from the pulley.  This
absorbs the force of the dog running and hitting the end of the lead.  It
also helps in high winds if you are using trees to support the trolley.  I
prefer two posts, or a single post and a building.

You also need to incorporated stops on the cable so the dog cannot tangle
itself around either end of the trolley This stops the pulley roller from
allowing the dog to get too close to the end of the trolley.

A dog in the orchard such equipped will not wander off, will protect the
area, and can be provided with shelter/food/water for the night.  During the
day, when you are around, take the dog off guard duty.

Just make it impossible for the dog to tangle around objects while on the
trolley and give it proper shelter.

Later,

Tom