[NAFEX] Definition requested

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Mon Apr 23 21:19:38 EDT 2007

The low-tech way to do the approximate the same thing is to learn which
plants react to temperatures similarly to whatever you need to monitor.
For instance, yard-care people will tell you the time (in NE) to spread
pre-emergent weed killer on the grass is when the forsythia blooms, or a
bit before.  I have a problem with winter moths.  Last year I caught them
the day they hatched on the apples by careful observation.  This year I
remembered that they hatched when the scilla first opened, and the apple
bud scales bagan to separate.  So I timed my first spray accordingly.
Judging by the size of the dying caterpillars I found the next day, I was
one or two days past the optimal time, but the prior two days had been both
work days and rainy, so I figure I did about as well as I could.

If you are a commercial farmer, degree day models probably work better.
But if you are a weekend backyard gardener, watching the plants is a decent
substitute.
___
Ginda