[NAFEX] Natsudaidai seeds.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar parmarch_mnd at dataone.in
Sun Apr 22 06:58:50 EDT 2007

Dear NAFEXers,

I have some seeds of Natsudaidai (Japanese Summer Orange).  Even few budsticks can also be arranged.  Those of you who are interested in this fruit may contact me.

It mat be told here for the information of those who still have not heard about this fruit that Natsudaidai grows semiwild in Japan.  ten per cent of all citrus plants are estimated to be of Natsudaidai.  It is thought to be a natural cross between a mandarin and pumello.  The fruits are larger than oranges.  Though these contain enough sugars, but the taste is still as sweet like orange due to a higher acid content.

The MOST REMARKABLE FEATURE of this fruit that it ripens in may where as oranges ripen in December - January.  In fact the word NATSUDAIDAI in Japanese language literally means "ORANGE COLOUR DURING SUMMER".

It grows there in subtemperate climate alongwith stone fruits and even apples at some places.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
Horticultural Consultant on Lesserknown Indian Fruits
186/3 Jail Road
Mandi  HP  175001
India
Ph. 01905-222810; 9418- 81323