[NAFEX] pistachios

Michael Nave jmichaelnave at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 21 19:08:29 EDT 2007

A member of the Seed Savers Exchange is selling
pistachio seednuts to SSE members.

The problem with planting commercial pistachio seed in
your area is that 99% of the pistachios grown in the
US are the Kerman variety pollenized by Peters (or
vice versa-I don't remember which is the male and
which is the female). Their seedlings have very little
genetic variability. They definitely grow best in hot
dry climates. There are pistachio varieties with more
genetic variability being tested by the University of
California. You might want to contact UC Parlier to
see about getting samples of different pistachios for
planting next year:

http://fruitsandnuts.ucdavis.edu/crops/pistachio.shtml

Louise Ferguson, CE Pomologist
Specialties: Pistachio, etc