[NAFEX] Definition requested

Ed Fackler ed.fackler at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 09:07:18 EDT 2007

Jim:

     Shuck split (in peach anyway) is the time when the fruit expands
(approx 10 mm) enough to cause the flower base (shuck) to split and fall
off.

     Re: the incidence of curculio egg laying (creating the typical "cat
face" scare on fruit) has more to do with day time temperatures than fruit
development (although they do coincide).  Or in So. Indiana when temps were
70 or greater curculio activity rapidly increased.  I consistantly saw this
each and every year.  I'd always leave 2 trees (at different locations)
unsprayed simply to monitor pest damage through out the seasons.

ed