[NAFEX] Paw-Paw Seed Size

Matt Demmon mdemmon at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 00:28:57 EDT 2007

the only seedling characteristic it might lead to is first year
seedling size. All other things being equal, the biggest seed probably
has the most food reserves and will produce the biggest initial
growth. Larger chestnuts certainly result in larger seedlings the
first year for me. Of course this won't make a bigger final tree, but
that little head start will help it get there sooner.

-matt

On 4/16/07, nottke1 <nottke1 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Ethan,
> I am not a pawpaw-oligist, just an aficionado.
> I, too, have germinated a lot of pawpaw seeds after segregating by size and shape.  Neither characteristic seems to translate into a seedling characteristic in my limited experiments - Kirk Pomper or Neal Peterson would be someone to ask.
> Jim Nottke

-matt
aim: farmerdemmon
www.flickr.com/photos/farmerdemmon