[NAFEX] Curcullio question

dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Fri Apr 20 14:13:11 EDT 2007

Sounds like a good plan to me.  If you don't have very many trees, you can
also use Surround.  There is more info on its use at
http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/kaolin-clay-apples.html .  it doesn't kill
them, but repels them as well a few other pests.

The critical timing period for plum curculio has historically been at fruit
set just as the fruit begins to swell. However, recent research has shown
that plum curculio females are reproductively mature well in advance of this
stage. We estimate 95 percent of the females are mated after 290 GDD50,
which is typically right at shuck split in stone fruits and fruit set in
pome fruits. Females are ready to oviposit long before fruit are large
enough to support the developing larvae.

Once eggs have been laid, plum curculio larvae need approximately 400 GDD50
to complete development. Because of the zero-tolerance standards for larvae
in processed cherries, tart cherry orchards should have a comprehensive
control strategy in place by 400 GDD50 before harvest to minimize the risk
of larvae in harvested fruit.  You can stop sprays at 340 GDD50 after petal
fall date.

By the way, in pruning peach trees today, we do still have plenty of live
buds.  Looks like we only had about 15% loss when our temps hit -13/-14 for
over 8 hours.  Once I get through all of the varieties, I will post a
complete list of varieties we have and which were the most cold hearty if
anyone is interested.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com