[NAFEX] Curcullio question

Donna &/or Kieran holycow at cookeville.com
Fri Apr 20 10:06:18 EDT 2007

Before the big freeze I had spread sheets under my big plum tree and also
went around moving a couple of sheets under smaller peach trees.  Tapping
got me a total of 120 curculios.  If half were females and each can destroy
300 fruits, that would mean they could have destroyed 18,000 fruits.  I had
decided it would be worth my while to spray the peaches with Neem and keep
the sheets under the big tree and keep tapping it.  By keeping one favored
tree for bait, and making the peaches taste bad, I figured I could actually
kill most of the curculios and eventually reach a point in the year where I
could stop spraying.  I am pretty good at spotting bugs, so it was an easy
matter to pick up and crunch the weevils, not to mention very satisfying!  I
could have dumped the debris collected by tapping into a bucket of soapy
water, but then I wouldn't have had any idea how many curculio the were or
whether the numbers were dropping.  For those of you who still have the
chance of getting crops, you might want to try this and report in.  For
others like Dennis, do you think this is a reasonably good approach?  I
don't dare use chemicals.   Donna