[NAFEX] pistachio

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Thu Apr 19 12:59:55 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/19/2007 11:44:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
samurphy at isp.com writes:

> Scott,
> I got pistachio seeds on Ebay 3 years ago.  Until recently I had 2 trees
> growing in pots.  One bit the dust while I was away  but the other is thriving
> at about 3 feet tall.   Since I have brought them inside for winters I don't
> know if they would survive outside here in SW TN.

Several years back Prof. Gustafson from the Univ. of Nebr. brought some
pastachio seed from the northern range of China, legally. I have the only remaining
specimen of that collection, to the best of my knowledge. It has survived
here in Indiana for maybe 8 years, planted next to the South side of my house in
a very well drained area, nearly desert conditions. It has never flowered so
don't know the sexual expression.

Might be good genetic material for a cold hardy breeding program. Will share
bud wood and scion wood.

Jerry