[NAFEX] Strawberry grape

Bassem Samaan bassem at gardener.com
Thu Apr 19 06:00:54 EDT 2007

Now here's a grape that's popular in Italy as a dessert grape. In Italy
it's known as "Uva Fragola" which translates to strawberry grape.
According to an Italian freind that visits italy frequently told me that
this grape taste more like a ripe strawberry. A gardener in northern
italy near Genova grows this grape. He mentioned that Strawberry grape is
a hybrid between american and european grape. It's very vigorous and
productive. Disease resistance as well, producing red color grapes. It's
illegal to produce wine made from Strawberry Grape in Italy. I'm not sure
why.Here's a discription from a UK nursery source:"STRAWBERRY GRAPE (also
known as ‘Fragole’). This is an unusual variety, because its flavour is
strawberry-like. The fruit is mauve and is very prolific either in
greenhouse or indeed quite successful outside. Is a strong grower and
makes good fruity wine."
Does anyone grow this grape in the US? Bass zone 6, Bethlehem, pa