[NAFEX] gluten

Thomas Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Wed Apr 18 10:38:24 EDT 2007

Hi,

I just scanned that article and nowhere does it state they eliminated feed.
They did state that " almost every conceivable and realistic cause remains a
possibility". They then went on to list the top ten reasons, which included
" Style of feeding bees and type of bee food".

There is also no reference as who made this statement at the web page you
gave.  I was able to find the hearing here, at a government website.
Testimony has not been transcribed to the web yet.  I never rely on blogs
for facts.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, March 29, 2007

Media Contact:
April Demert Slayton (202) 225-6872
april.slayton at mail.house.gov

Subcommittee Investigates Honey Bee Colony Collapse Disorder

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Today, Congressman Dennis Cardoza, Chairman of the House
Agriculture Committee's Subcommittee on Horticulture and Organic
Agriculture, held a hearing to investigate colony collapse disorder in honey
bee colonies across the United States.

Colony collapse disorder (CCD) is characterized by the sudden die-off of
honey bee colonies. The cause of CCD has not been determined, and the
Subcommittee heard about the situation and its impact on agriculture from
scientists and bee keepers, as well as a farmer who relies on bees to
pollinate his crops.

"I am deeply committed to raising awareness of CCD and its impact on
American agriculture," said Subcommittee Chairman Cardoza.  "Farmers and
beekeepers across the country are dependent on honey bees for their
livelihoods. It is imperative that we move swiftly to get to the bottom of
this, before the problem becomes even more serious. The insight and
perspectives we heard in today's hearing will be very useful as we consider
the next steps in addressing this threat to honey bees, and to the
livelihoods of commercial beekeepers and crop producers."

"Honey bee pollination is vital to flowers and many fruit, vegetable, nut
and forage crops, as well as forages and flowers.  In addition, pollination
from honey bees increases yield and food quality and creates billions of
dollars of crop value for farmers. Agriculture has a strong interest in
maintaining a sound supply of pollinators, and I encourage researchers to
work closely with producers to find a solution to the current colony
collapse," said Subcommittee Ranking Member Randy Neugebauer.

Witness testimony is available on the Committee website:
http://agriculture.house.gov/hearings/index.html. A full transcript of the
hearing will be posted on the Committee website in 4-6 weeks.

Witness List

Associate Administrator Caird E. Rexroad, PhD, Agricultural Research
Service, USDA, Washington, D.C.

Dr. Diana Cox-Foster, PhD, Professor, Pennsylvania State University,
University Park, Pennsylvania

Dr. May R. Berenbaum, Professor and Head, Department of Entomology,
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Illinois

Mr. Paul Wenger, First Vice President, California Farm Bureau Federation,
Modesto, California

Mr. David Ellingson, Commercial Bee Keeper, Ortonville, MN

Mr. Gene Brandi, Legislative Chairman, California State Beekeepers
Association, Los Banos, California

Mr. Jim Doan, Commercial Bee Keeper, Hamlin, New York

Mr. Richard Adee, Legislative Committee Chairman, American Honey Producers
Association, Bruce, South Dakota