[NAFEX] gluten

Thomas Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Wed Apr 18 10:00:29 EDT 2007

Hi,

Wheat gluten is what is left after starch is washed away from the wheat.
Isn't starch what sugar breaks down into?

For example...  the sugars in sweet corn break down into starch, making the
corn significantly less palatable.  Same thing happens to apples.

So I would ask what happens to the starch and yeast (see below) that is
washed away.  If the feed grade wheat was contaminated would the
contaminates end up in the wheat gluten, along with other wheat gluten
byproducts, and where do those other byproducts end up?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_gluten_(food)

Wheat gluten - also called seitan (pronounced SAY-tahn), wheat meat,
wheat-meat, wheatmeat, gluten meat, or simply gluten - is a foodstuff made
from the gluten <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten>  of wheat
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat> . It is made by washing dough
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dough>  made from wheat flour
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flour>  in water until the starch
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starch>  is rinsed away, leaving only the
gluten, which can then be cooked and processed in various ways.

>From my limited knowledge of commercial honeybees they are fed pollen, sugar
supplements, protein, carbohydrates, and yeast among other things.  A lot of
those things would appear to be by-products of wheat gluten processing.

I am not saying this is the answer, but it sure is plausible based on timing
and related events.  Somebody with the tools should investigate.  I would
love to be proved wrong, as we all learn from mistaken theories.

Not that I imagine commercial honey producers would ever want the general
public to even consider this hypothesis.

Later,

Tom