[NAFEX] honeybees and Einstein

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Wed Apr 18 09:52:10 EDT 2007

I'd like to second Rivka's point.  I keep seeing that 'einstein' quote and
it's getting on my nerves.  I haven't seen more than one or two wild
honeybees in my yard in the 9 years I've lived in this propery, but I get
excellent pollination of my crabapples, raspberries, apricot, blueberries,
dandilions, and pretty much everything else.  That quote is ridiculous.

And yet, an unexplained die-off of honeybees is a serious problem for
farmers (many of whom will need to actively invest in alternative
pollenators if they can't rely on honeybees) and yes, it could signal a
serious problem for our health, too.  Ridiculous exaggerations just lead
people to assume the speaker is a fundamentalist
extremist (the sort of person who cares more about bees than about people,
for instance) and dismiss the factual description of the problem as
probably exaggerated, too.

it would be terrific if CCD was caused by contaminated bee feed.  I can't
think of a cause with a simpler solution.  I hope the proper resources are
in place to research that and other possible causes.  It might be worth
lobbying your congresscritter to allocate funds for this investigation

Ginda