[NAFEX] honeybees and Einstein

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Wed Apr 18 09:30:12 EDT 2007

On Apr 17, 2007, at 11:42 PM, Dylan Ford wrote:

> Rivka - And everybody knows, canaries can't mine coal. Why's everybody
> panicking?  dylan

Do you mean by that, that whatever is killing the bees may also be
toxic to humans, in the same fashion in which the lack of oxygen that
can kill canaries in mines is also toxic to humans?

This possibility is of course another good reason why unexplained
deaths or other major problems of any species should be investigated,
whether or not they're directly and obviously involved in the food
chain which feeds humans. Whatever's killing the bees might or might
not be toxic to humans, but as long as we don't know what's killing
them, we also don't know whether it threatens us directly.

However, it's got nothing to do with the point I was making. I never
said that CCD should not be investigated; if you read all of my post,
you'll see that I was saying exactly the opposite. What I meant was
that attempting to impress the importance of an issue on others by
including exaggerated and clearly false information often doesn't have
that effect; it instead often has the effect of causing people to
dismiss the entire thing as nonsense, which is unwise. It's especially
unwise if the issue is genuinely important, as this one is.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly