[NAFEX] Curcullio question

dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Mon Apr 16 20:11:45 EDT 2007

Jim,

Due to the adverse weather conditions and loss of fruit in many areas, there
will be the initial response of thinking one does not need to be too
concerned about pest control.  Actually, one will need to be a bit more
diligent in monitoring, especially for fungal and bacterial diseases.  After
any kind of weather related injury, fungicides still need to be considered.
Damage breeds disease.  In fact, a good copper spray just prior to a light
frost will add protection against that frost.

In the case of plum curculio, there is a great deal of information available
at http://web1.msue.msu.edu/vanburen/plumcurc.htm.  I am also in the process
of developing an early detection trap that will capture adults as they are
flying into the orchard, rather than the previous trunk or triangle traps
that generally do not work.  I will be starting my trials this spring with
the use of a plum curculio lure and plum essence combination in a Trece
Delta Pherocon VI trap.  I will continue to post results as they become
available.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com