[NAFEX] Fwd: [rarefruit] Discussion aims of the group

rob hamilton lostman_amiga at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 10:27:51 EDT 2007

Hey Lon,

I really wish there were more information about some of these pomegranate NAFEX figures. These names are mentioned in post at times, but I feel these people need recognized more and their work documented. I guess I am asking for book to be written.

On the interest group issue, it surprises me that people would be encouraged by isolation. The reason I found NAFEX so interesting is that the work form others inspires me to look at where I could be contribute. I  have friend I met on the Internet here in Atlanta. We meet every month to talk about what we are growing.
Maybe its just the way I work. Having people to share ideas and test material, seems to focus me and pushes me forward. I think this is why I strive to go to the meetings. It not just a pure quest for knowledge, but something to push me forward and invigorating my passion.

Robert

"Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom at hevanet.com> wrote: Keep in mind that NAFEX has been around since the 1960's, when things
like kiwi (any kiwi), jujubes, persimmons, etc. were pretty much
unknown in the general population and were considered quite exotic at
the time.  NAFEX has done a lot to make formerly exotic fruits common
enough that they have lost much of their former status. Elwyn Meader
bred an American persimmon able to grow in a climate where most people
thought they wouldn't grow.  Jim Claypool started the first private
large scale breeding program for American persimmons.   Elmer Swenson
showed that really good quality grapes could be grown in cold climates.
Elwood Fisher gathered an apple collection that became a large part of
the foundation of the U.S. apple collection at Geneva, NY.   The list
goes on.  Through the efforts of many of these people, nurseries began
to offer those "exotic" fruits more and more until they became well
known enough to lose some of their "exotic" status.
 In some ways NAFEX's role has shifted to finding and/or developing new
fruits, to developing/finding more varieties of those fruits that will
grow in a wider range of climates.
 Yes, there are many exotic fruits out there, but only a limited number
that will grow in temperate climates AND have enough appeal to attract
a sizeable following the way the earlier fruits have.  There are a lot
of edible Sorbus species, for example, but many aren't better than
other pome fruits, just different.  That doesn't mean they aren't worth
pursuing, only that they aren't likely to attract as much attention as
other fruits.
 Of course it also depends on how much work anyone is willing to put
into the fruits.  The Interest Groups have tended to wither with the
development of the internet because the existing information tends to
stifle creativity to some degree.  When someone is working in
isolation, they seem to become more creative and try more things
because they have nothing to compare their work to.  With the internet,
it's easy to find others who are already doing something, which can
make working with a fruit less urgent.
 Of the many other fruits out there, a lot of them have potential, but
they don't appeal to as wide a range of people as some of the ones
NAFEX has espoused in the past, so it will take more time for them to
be developed to where they will attract a wider "audience".
 These are random thoughts.  Often it only takes one really devoted
"fan" of a fruit to light a fire under others, if that one is
persistent, patient, and gets the word out to others.  That usually
means growing or working with as many selections of the fruit as
possible, gathering information, sometimes breeding new varieties,
passing along plant material, and writing about their experiences.
 As long as NAFEX has people like that, it will flourish.
-Lon Rombough

"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
For growing supplies and more;  http://www.grapegrowersolutions.com