[NAFEX] Bee shortage hypothesis

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Mon Apr 16 10:20:08 EDT 2007

On Apr 16, 2007, at 10:06 AM, nbeaureg at student.umass.edu wrote:

> it is within the realm o my conception that
> such radiation Might and/or Could cause bees
> to lose there way.
>
> BUT for me the sticky part of this hypothesis is that
> colonies are not then consumed by pests.
>
> ncb

That was exactly my response.  While it's possible that mobile phones
could cause bees to abandon (or lose) their hives, there are two
major problems with attributing colony collapse disorder to mobile
phones.

1)  if the bees just got lost, why would other pests that usually
attack undefended hives not attack these hives?

2)  CCD seems to have started in the US, and be most serious here.
We are well behind the rest of the world in our adoption of mobile
phones.  (probably because we had better land-line service than the
rest of the world.)  While it's true that a different mobile phone
technology is most popular here (Verizon and Sprint use a system that
is mostly used in the US.  Cingular and most of the other carriers
use the technology that is used in most every other country.)  and it
might be worse for bees, that technology is still extremely rare or
nonexistant in other countries.  So if the problem were mobile
phones, either we should have been the last nation to be hit, or we
should be the only nation to be hit, depending on exactly what the
problems are.

I am familiar with the Independent (the quote newspaper) and in
general it's pretty good.  But even good newspapers have trouble
covering science, and this article seems to be bad science.

Ginda