[NAFEX] Fwd: [rarefruit] Discussion aims of the group

rob hamilton lostman_amiga at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 08:00:12 EDT 2007

Hey Tom,

I agree the word exotic had different connotation to different people. A number of fruit of the tropics (Central/Southern Americas, Africa, Pacific islands and Southern Asia) MAY not had the rigorous exploration that the temperate fruit have had. It would be difficult for most of our membership to explore these anyway. I would argue the point that "exotic"*  does not mean tropical. There are a number of fruits that we could (and some are) explore in even the upper northern regions with out a greenhouse.

Arctic kiwi
hardy honeysuckle
Raisin tree
Hardier jujubes
Hardy Russian pomegranate
Sea Buckthorn
Sorbus
Hawthorns
cherry principia
Cloudberry

and many more...

These are just off the top of my head. All of these are "exotic" or "exotic varieties" that could be explored.
You are right the interest group are the place where alot of this happening. I urge these group to report on occasion to let us all know whats going on. I hope this would inspire others to join the groups and excite us with their findings.

Robert

* I put this in quotes because exotic very relative term. Muscidines and Mayhaws to someone in CA is exotic, but I remember these at the corner store as a kid.

Thomas Olenio <tolenio at sentex.net> wrote:        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}           st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }           Hello,

  Is it possible that hardiness zones and where the bulk of NAFEX members live, somewhat limits the fruits that can be explored?

  Has anyone ever produced a map that demonstrates NAFEX member concentration   distribution?  It can be done simply enough with just a list of the zip codes for each member.  Any company that has a sales department and a large customer base will have this type of software.  It is handy to know exactly where customer concentrations occur.

  Sure, some very exotic fruits can be grown in North America, but if people do not have greenhouses or winter storage opportunities it simply isn’t possible.

  There are NAFEX special interest groups that focus on some very niche fruits.  These groups have their own forums, but are not widely used, to my knowledge.

  This email group is analogous to the lobby of a university where common things are discussed more routinely, but there are many smaller groups, with more focused discussions behind other doors.

  Fruit And Nut Interest Groups
  http://www.nafex.org/interest_groups.htm

  Special Consultants
  http://www.nafex.org/consultants.htm

  I am sure that if interest exists these areas can be expanded for those with truly exotic fruit exploration.

  Later,
  Tom