[NAFEX] Cornus kousa propzam

growyourown at earthlink.net growyourown at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 15 22:42:09 EDT 2007

   With Robs comments in mind I thought I would share this little bit of info I just read in "Dogwoods" by Paul Cappiello and Don Shadow. Ernest Wilson in 1913 described the fruit of some as "juicy and fair of flavor" I assume this was from his travels in China. Mr. Cappiello speaks of the fruits of most varieties as being as mealy as an old Red Delicious apple. He does however point out that the Variety "Propzam" or the Prophet as being large plump and as sweet as any.
   My limited experience has been more along the lines of the mealy Red delicious.
   I havent yet looked at Mas and all its cultivars. I know there are some faith followers of this species on the list. I just havent warmed up to its fruit yet. That said, I have never had anything but raw fruit.

Mark
SW ohio