[NAFEX] Fwd: [rarefruit] Discussion aims of the group

rob hamilton lostman_amiga at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 15 21:06:10 EDT 2007

Dear membership,

This is an interest comment. I have only been with NAFEX for about 6 years. Some some aspects or this post I agree and with and some I don't. I feel this is an excellent opportunity for our membership (at least the on-line ones) to chime in to let the board know what you want.

These are my thoughts...

There is a alot of discussions on mainstream fruits in the on-line forum and in Pomona, though the varieties discussed are often are historical or rare and sometimes unorthodox uses of those fruits. That being said, I do see plenty of discussion of rare or under explored fruits, and kiwi or hardy kiwi is hardly and exotic fruit on our list. Ask Hector Black and Hall Love.  I personally would love to see more exploration of rarer fruit. I think (gut feeling here) members do, but may not actively report on them.
I also think that we do have a diversity of people on the whole chemical/organic spectrum. I am tired of seeing people place in just two extremes in this issue, and I do feel here people discuss and practice various methodologies and anyone would find a colleague in our membership that would see their interest represented. I do see the organic community growing, and that is an area I think we could find more members.

I do NOT want this post to sound like I took offense at these comments. It is further from the truth. I thank Dr. Parmar posted this. My hope is that we can use it as a vehicle to ask ourselves if this is the group we want.

I think each fruit group out there has there own "flavor" of community. I am part  of Southern Fruit Fellowship, and the California Rare fruit group. There will always be overlap between them, though no group well satisfy everyone, I think we are a good general entry point for all people interested in temperate fruit.

Robert Hamilton

"Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch at gmail.com> wrote: Here are some comments about NAFEXers from Rarefruit list.

 Dr. Chiranjit Parmar