[NAFEX] rootstock under meyers lemon

nottke1 nottke1 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 15 19:31:07 EDT 2007

Tony,
Yes, I was fishing for a better method than mine.  I use a tracked fork loader, wrap a log chain around the forks, then push the forks along the ground and once the chain has a good drip on the base of the bush, I lift up and it pulls up most of the cord roots.  A few sprouts come up from remaining roots, but glyphosate will kill them.  Glyphosate won't kill large plants because there is not enough leaf surface to absorb enough of the chemical.
You want to be very careful burning a pile of torn out bushes - they are loaded with citrus oil.  Once they dry for a week, they burn like solid gasoline, I had a jet of blue flame 100 feet tall my first summer when I torched a pile of them one dead calm morning - sounded like a jet engine.
Jim