[NAFEX] Which trees didn't freeze?

BRosholdt rosholdt at erols.com
Sun Apr 15 15:30:27 EDT 2007

In central Virginia, we received two nights where the temperatures
dropped to 23 degrees just before dawn.  The freeze wasn't the problem,
it was all the warming before-hand.  Some of the peach trees had
finished blooming a week before.  The petals still look normal, but I'll
bet the fruit is all damaged.  The pear and paw paws look like someone
hit the blossoms with a blowtorch, and the blueberries don't look too
good.  None of the trees froze, except maybe the fig which we had just
uncovered the week before.  No trees were killed that I can detect, but
there were some winter- type damage at tips.  I am growing Jujubes for
the first time and they look pathetic, but am not sure how they Should
look this time of year!  The medlar seems fine.  The persimmons had not
yet prepared to bloom, so I will just have to see.  I plant bunches of
different things, and always get something.

Barbara Rosholdt
Zone 7a