[NAFEX] Persimmons

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Sun Apr 15 10:27:08 EDT 2007

Recently, there's been some talk on the list about persimmons - oriental
vs American, astringent vs non-astringent. I've never even seen a
persimmon, and I have no idea what they taste like. Anyone care to fill
me in? Are they good for fresh eating, right off the tree?

I've seen in catalogs American persimmons that are supposed to be hardy
to zone 5, or even zone 4, but not the oriental persimmons, I believe.
And some say they're self-pollinating (I'm not sure I'd want to plant
two, since I'm running out of room). But I'm not sure if they'd put up
with our Nebraska climate. Or really be worth the space for my purposes.

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. - David Hume