[NAFEX] Re : Wool as mulch (Clifford Cain)

Clifford Cain cc_syorks at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 15 07:57:28 EDT 2007

Betsy
Here in the UK there are now several products on the market using wool for mulching.
The first is akin to a carpet underlay, its about 1m wide and I first saw it being used as a mulch under a recently planted mixed native hedge up at the airport.
At our local country fair in 2005 there was a stand selling pellets of wool shoddy.  This had been compressed into small pellets, like animal feed pellets.  I got a small bag and tried it around one of my blueberry bushes.  Visually it did the job.
On one trip to Wales I saw a grower using whole fleece as a mulch.  When asked why, the price for the fleece was so low it was not worth selling so was using as a mulch instead.  As mentioned in another post, I can imagine it getting caught in a mower.  Also if present over winter I am sure the whole fleece would serve as a popular nest for mice.
Regards

Clifford Cain
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, UK