[NAFEX] Apricots for tricky climates - JerseyCot, Puget Gold

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Sat Apr 14 10:23:44 EDT 2007

Another apricot you might want to consider is Puget Gold.  I bought
one for a friend as a housewarming present, and was so jealous of his
apricots that I bought one for myself, too.   We're both in eastern
Mass, he's pretty close to the coast, and I'm further inland, where
the snow sticks.  (I'm zone 6, he may be zone 7.)   It's too early to
know for sure for this year, but it has bloomed after the last hard
frost, and held its fruit through minor frosts, every year since
we've planted it.  It was developed for the Pacific Northwest, but
seems to be good in New England, too.

It's definitely self-fertile, since I doubt there's another apricot
within 5 miles of either of us.  It blooms when there aren't many
insects around, but I've often caught a lone bumble bee in the act of
pollination.

I bought the trees from Burnt Ridge Nursery, burntridge at myhome.net.
They keep them in cold storage, and were able to sell me one fairly
late in the season.  It's too late for me to cut scion wood this
year, but if you remind me next winter I could do that.

Ginda Fisher
eastern Mass, zone 6