[NAFEX] Fruit blooming without pollinators

Bassem Samaan bassem at gardener.com
Sat Apr 14 06:03:29 EDT 2007

While many have experienced damage on their fruit trees this past week,
I'm furtunate that my apricots are late bloomers. I have JerseyCot and
another late blooming variety, they haven't bloomed fully until now. My
peaches and plums and all others haven't bloomed yet. Now the question
is, my apricot is almost in full bloom, there's no sub freezing
temperature in the forecast, but what pollinates the apricots? There's no
insects out yet in this cold. Would they get wind pollinated? Would the
blossoms release pollen if the outside temperatures are below 50F?

Bass

Bethlehem, Pa, Zone 6