[NAFEX] Whose fruit trees didn't freeze?

Donna &/or Kieran holycow at cookeville.com
Sat Apr 14 00:20:03 EDT 2007

Though the fruit is black and dead, these trees had hardly any damage to
leaves or shoots: sweet and sour cherries, peaches, pears, apples,
blueberries, myrobalan plums.  The AU plum leaves look terrible, but at
least one native plum looks fine.  Chestnut shoots and catkins are dead and
shriveled.  One seedling black walnut had leafed out, the grafted one had
not.  I thought it was 'Thomas Myer' but that's two varieties, so I don't
know which of the two it is.  I'd just bought some Aronia this winter which
were in full bloom, and looks like the flowers were undamaged.  The wild
blackberries and tame black raspberries seem undamaged.  My Kiowa
blackberries had some flowers nearly ready to open, these are black in the
middle despite having been weighed to the ground and covered.  Looks like
maybe some of the dogwood flowers were unharmed.  The strawberries have a
lot of black centers in spite of having had 2 layers of nylon over them.
The 10 blueberrry bushes that I covered seem to include 3 bushes where at
least some of the berries look ok, though it may take another week or so to
be sure.  I think it's mostly to do with where they were in the row and
under cover and which way the wind was coming from.
    The wild trees that look best are the wild black cherries and the elms.
Donna    Tennessee, eastern Highland Rim, Z6